Fruit flies are small, winged insects that are attracted to sweet, sugary substances, such as fruits and vegetables. They are common pests in homes, restaurants, and other areas where food is stored or prepared. Fruit flies can cause food spoilage, contaminate food, and spread disease. They can also be a nuisance, buzzing around and landing on food. There are many methods to get rid of fruit flies and essential oils are among the best methods to use for the purpose because of the following reasons:
- Natural and non-toxic
- Easily available
- Safe to use around pets and children
- Long-lasting results
- Aromatic and pleasant smell
Know about essential oils
Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts, derived from the leaves, stems, flowers, and other parts of the plant. They are used for their therapeutic and medicinal properties, as well as for their aromatherapeutic benefits. Essential oils can be used in many different ways, from diffusing them into the air, to applying them topically to the skin, or even ingesting them, and also for getting rid of fruit flies.5 types of essential oils to get rid of fruit flies
5 Essential oils to use to get rid of fruit flies
- Citronella oil
- Tea Tree oil
- Peppermint oil
- Lavender oil
- Lemon oil
1. Citronella Oil
Citronella oil is a great option for getting rid of fruit flies. It is naturally made from citronella grass, is non-toxic, and is easily available. It is naturally used as a repellent. It is also cost-effective and safe to use around pets and children. Furthermore, it provides long-lasting results and leaves a pleasant aroma in the air. Citronella oil can be used to make a spray, candles, vaporizers, and diffusers to get rid of fruit flies.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and is naturally made from steaming the leaves of the Australian tea tree. This is also inexpensive and highly aromatic which you will surely love to use in your house. Due to its antibacterial properties, it works like a repellant for fruit flies.
3. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is derived from the peppermint plant and it is mainly used for relief from colds and coughs, itching, headaches, etc. It can also be used as a repellent for fruit flies. These are natural and inexpensive and you can easily buy them online.
4. Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is known to be rich in medicinal properties like antimicrobial activity, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties which is prepared using the steam distillation process by capturing the lavender buds, capturing the steam, and condensing the steam into a liquid. You can use lavender oil as a spray or in the form of a diffuser to keep fruit flies away.
5. Lemon Oil
Lemon oil can be used as a repellent for fruit flies. It is traditionally used to keep bugs away from the house. It is processed by abrading the peels and releasing the oil into a stream of water from which the oil is isolated using a centrifuge and a high-speed polisher separating water, solids, and wax from the oil. It is also thought to have antiseptic properties, making it even more effective for getting rid of fruit flies.
How to use essential oils to get rid of fruit flies?
- Choose an essential oil. Choose from citronella, tea tree, peppermint, lavender, or lemon.
- Make a spray using the essential oil. Fill a spray bottle with water and add 10-20 drops of essential oil. Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients.
- Spray the mixture in areas where fruit flies are commonly found. Spray in corners, near windows and doors, and in any other areas where you’ve seen fruit flies.
- Place candles in areas where fruit flies are commonly found. Light the candles and allow the scent of the essential oil to fill the area.
- Create a vaporizer using the essential oil. Fill a bowl with hot water and add 10-20 drops of essential oil. Place the bowl near areas where fruit flies are commonly found.
- Use a diffuser with the essential oil. Fill a diffuser with water and add 10-20 drops of essential oil. Turn on the diffuser and allow the scent of the essential oil to fill the area.
- Repeat the process as needed. You may need to repeat the process every few days to keep the fruit flies away.
These are some of the commonly used essential oils to get rid of fruit flies. You can easily buy them from nearby marts or order them online. Don’t forget to keep precautions in mind. Keep these oils out of the reach of children and never consume them.